Monday, August 25, 2008

Big Week For the Buzzard

So, the last week was a sort of a big one for the Muddy Buzzard. I'm slowly beginning to get closer to some semblance of normal training.

This last week there were a few highlights that have me cautiously optimistic that I'm on the path to full recovery.

First, I ran a "hard" 5K at Kelly Fulton's wedding in Tacoma, Washington and was able to do the full distance at well under 8:00 pace.

I ran all 7 days last week (the first time that I had run 7 days in a week since the last full week in March)(about 4.5 months).

I ran 32 miles for the week (first time over 30 miles in the last 4.5 months).

And, to top it off, on Saturday, I actually ran a mile in under 7:00.

It's a far cry from where I'm used to being; but, given where I was after cracking my kneecap on April Fool's Day, I can tell you that it's some big steps forward.

And, while I am relishing the ability to run regularly again; it turns out it's a huge pain in the ass to come back from a serious injury. I've never had this type of injury before in my over 30 years in the sport, so I had no idea what to expect in returning to fitness. Damn if it doesn't take a bit of work.

Oh well. Just need to keep positive, train smart and keep moving ahead.

Looking forward to seeing you all on the roads, tracks and trails.

Tony

No comments: