Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A Cliche' A Day Keeps Doldrums At Bay

The other night I was at my daughter's wrestling practice. (That's right - my daughter wrestles at 112 lbs for the Plains High School wrestling team!!!). They are approaching their Divisional and State tournaments over the next couple of weeks; and, the coaches are trying to get them to think ahead and to be appropriately motivated.

One of the coaches was pulling out the "No Regrets" talk. At first, I was just kind of letting it go in one ear and out the other. But, the more I listened to him, the more I began to appreciate the underlying philosophy.

I know that in this world it's easy to be cynical and calloused. I know that we often are uncomfortable with feel good, "touchy-feely" discussions. But, you know what - we have to not be quite so jaded. We need to take the time to step back and get in touch with some of our "softer sides".

No regrets - it's a fine way to approach this sport. Why train and race in a half-assed fashion? Why would you choose to do anything other than try to attain the best possible performance that you are capable of?

Now, some of us are more than happy with mediocrity and under performance. That's your choice. As for me, I would prefer to challenge myself and try to raise myself to a level that is above my expectations.

That's part of why the last 18 months had been a trial for me. With some psoas problems hindering my running in the 2nd half of 2007 then losing most of 2008 to a cracked kneecap, I have had to pretty much write off my performances since about June of 2007. Aside from missing the pure pleasure that I derive from being out on the roads (and tracks and trails), I missed the challenges or training to reach my highest level of fitness and racing performance.

And, that's why I'm so committed to my training this winter. I don't want to just fall to a level of "Oh - whoa is me. I'll never be the same after last year". I don't want to look back in my later years and wonder if I could have returned to my performances of my early 40's.

I want to be able to look back with No Regrets.

See you on the roads, tracks and trails

The Muddy Buzzard

No comments: