Sunday, March 27, 2011

Whirlwinds and Fever

The Buzzard's had quite a ride over the last 3 weeks.  It all started on Sunday, March 6th.  Really felt bad all that day with chills, body aches and a fever.  Feelign a bit better by Monday, but still pretty wimpy; and, my sinuses were killing me.  But, didn't really have time for such nonsense.  This was Nick's wedding week and we had to head to Phoenix.  Tuesday, March 8th was a hectic day of work, packing,visit the doctor, pre-season track practice and loading into the car to head to Missoula to start our trip south.

Over the next several days we ran around the Phonenix-Mesa-Tempe-Scottsdale area as we helped the kids get ready for the big event.  I took a dose of antibiotics that I got from the doc; and, by the end of the week was feeling mostly nornal. Saturday the 12th was a day of emotion as I proudly watched my son take the next step on his own life journey.  The ceremony was fantastic and fun was had by all.

Nick and his new bride Katie

It's amazing how something like a wedding take take such an emotional toll on you.  Suprisingly, I cried like a baby through most of the ceremony and during the toasts.  I've never really responded that way before at a wedding; but, it's clearly a whole different ballgame when it's you own child. 

But, as taxing as the week had been - there was no rest for the weary.  Up early the next morning to get in a run - then off to the airport for a 12-hour travel day to get back home by about 9:30 p.m. 

Monday the 14th brought a day of work and the first day of track practice.  Follow that up with travel to Butte - as the first leg of a trip that required me to be in Billings by 10:30 a.m. Tuesday.

Tuesday and Wednesday saw me in Billings working on some corporate issues at the home office - then, off to Butte again on Wednesday night.  But, did have the chance to get in a run in Bozeman on Wednesday evening (just before dusk) as heavy snow came down during a spring storm.

Thursday was travel to Missoula for some work in the Garden City, to Plains by 3:30 for track practice, then a wrestling team banquet that night. 

Friday was back in the office to try to start getting caught up from the travel and PTO of the last couple of weeks, then track practice, then a community fundraising event in the evening.  Though all of this, had been feeling pretty good.  Was getting in some runs, even though my left piriformis was pissed at me from all the traveling, and figured I could get back to my normal routine after a weekend of good sleep.

Saturday the 19th started off pretty well.  Up early to do an optional practice with some of the track kids and to squeeze in my own run.  Then a long, but mostly relaxed day of getting caught up on administrative tasks for track.  Things were going along pretty well until about 7:00 p.m.  At that point, started to feel a bit crappy; but, figured I was just a bit tired.  Headed off to the High School Prom's Grand March at about 10:00.  (In a uniuqe bit of small town charm - parents and family head to the prom and watch as all the kids march across the dance floor.  Quirky but charming.)

By the time we got home, tings were not looking good.  Could tell that I was not feeling well.  And, by Sunday morning - it was clear - I was back to the point where I started two weeks earlier.  And, in fact, I was going backwards.  Chills, fever, body aches, muscle and joint pain, hacking cough.  Not a fun place to be.  Laid me low all day Sunday..................and all day Monday....................................and all day Tuesday.  Probably the first tme in about 10 years that I've missed a day of work for illnes ----- so, you know it must have been bad.  And, running was not event getting close to the edge of the radar.

By Wedneday, I was able to work a little bit; but, after 4 hours of work and track practice, I was wiped out.  Now up to 4 days off running.  Thursday was a bit of an improvement.  Made it through the day a bit better; and, was even up to tormenting a couple of my track kids.  Definately a good sign.

By Friday the 25th I was feelign about 80%.  Still a bit weak; and, not quite at the top of my game; but, I'm pretty comfortable at this point that I'm on the upward part of the spiral.

Yesterday was a pretty good day.  Got some chores done.  Got though some track tasks.  Did some internet browsing.  Even got in a run - 3 slow, easy miles - but a run none the less.  Was pretty tired by the end of the day; and, ended up in bed by about 9:30 (and then getting about 10 hours of sleep)

So, here we sit at the end of a crazy 3 weeks - most of which have devolved into nothing but a blur.  It's a cool, wet day (woke up to snow coming down).  But, I got a good night's sleep.  Feeling mostly good.  Getting ready to cut some wood and burn a slash pile.  Things are definately looking up.

Here's to hoping that the next few weeks are just a bit less intense and let me get back to a normal life.

In the meantime, see you on the roads, tracks and trails.

The Muddy Buzzard

No comments: