Saturday, February 11, 2012

Straight From The Stallions Mouth

Here's a brief recount from Jesse Zentz (pilfered from his Facebook post) about his win at last night's Montana Men's Master's Mile:

The Montana Men's Master Mile at Montana State was the most fun I've had on a track in quite some time. I was hoping for a 4:30 and checked in at 4:29.62, but couldn't have done it without an awesome training group in Helena. And they all ran great, too. Check out the complete results here: http://www.bigskymiles.blogspot.com/
It was my first race on the 200-meter boards in Bozeman since 2000. So...me of my best college memories took place on that track, so it was good to be back and I was even able to reconnect with some old friends.
The race went out at a solid pace, thanks in large part to Helena neighbor Peter Dan Sullivan and Bozeman's Scott Creel. I took the initiative and went to the lead after a little jostling, and we hit 400 meters at 1:07 -- right on plan. I stayed out front on lap two, and sensed Scott was set to make a move, which he did, right after we clocked 2:15 for 800 -- again right on plan.
 
Scott went to the lead heading into the fifth lap and I tried to make a move around him, but he wasn't going to let me past him easily, so I settled in and made my move around him shortly before the seventh lap.
I hit 1,200 at 2:25, which meant we slowed to a 1:10 third 400, putting me in precarious position if I hoped to break his race record and and achieve my goal of 4:30.
 
I dug deep and and found an extra gear to close with a 1:04 final lap. I didn't know I had it in me, but you never find out if you don't try, right?. Needless to say, I was exhausted, but it was well worth it, and now I get to treat my wife to a nice steak dinner next time we're in Bozeman with my winnings.
 
Now, the pressure's on for next year.

So, by my calculations - that gave Jesse splits of 67, 68, 70, 64+ for his 4:29.62.

No comments: